Thursday, September 22, 2016

I Can Still Drive A 1000km In A Day…

…but I can’t take pictures at the same time. No Sir, that would be too much to ask. But this posting is coming to you from the town of Herkimer, New York State.

But I guess I have to back up a bit. You might remember that I drove a former ambulance van back in Alberta. Now that vehicle has been sitting in storage all the time after we went back to our home in New Brunswick. And with it a lot of other belongings we left behind as I considered to go back there for more work. But the price of oil kept falling and the Alberta economy is kinda in shambles, so no more work for me. And besides, I don’t like to live there. Once I saw the beauty of the east coast Alberta went out the window.
So after our tourist season is now dwindling down I decided to get over to Alberta to drive the van home. Now, I could have taken a flight, but I found a guy who is in need to have his car from New Brunswick over to Alberta, so this morning I took his car and started on the 3000-mile drive west. So I made a 1000 clicks today and that’s not bad. I am driving a 2014 Ford Focus which does 40mpg. My Alberta van won’t run that cheap!
Here’s my tracks of today:
1-Fullscreen capture 9222016 93939 PMTraffic wasn’t too bad except one line-up caused by a bad accident. Temps hovered around 84F which called for the use of AC in the car.
And what is there to say about “Herkimer”?
If you’ve never heard of it, don’t fret. I hadn’t either. Looking it up on “Wikipedia” turned up the astounding fact that there seems to be a village of Herkimer, the town of Herkimer and even Herkimer County.

Herkimer is a village on the north side of the Mohawk River and the county seat of Herkimer County, New York, United States, about 13 miles (21 km) southeast of Utica. As of the 2010 census, it had a population of 7,743. This was part of the Burnetsfield Patent and the first European-American settlement this far west in the Mohawk Valley.

The village takes its name from the Herkimer family, Palatine German immigrants who settled in the area in 1723. The most notable family member was Nicholas Herkimer, a general of the Tryon County militia, who died from wounds received at the Battle of Oriskany in the American Revolutionary War.

The village is located within the Town of Herkimer and Herkimer County; together they are referred to as "The Herkimers". The citizens of the Village are served by three levels of government of the same name: the Village, the Town and the County of Herkimer.

Not mentioned by Wikipedia is the spanking new Wally-World Supercenter, where I actually went to get water, cookies and Gummi Bears. (The originals from Haribo) I strolled along the candy aisles a couple of times until I saw them. There were two different package sizes. One with at least 2 pounds at almost 8 Bucks, the other just 5 oz and 98cts. I weighed the big bag and was almost taking them with me but I knew my gummi bear addiction would knock me out the next day, so I ended up with the small bag, and if I don’t stop munching on those I will have to return to Wally World first thing tomorrow morning.

So, I guess now we are all that much smarter.

9 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun roadtrip, enjoy your gummi bears.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful time of year for that trip.Wishing you safe travels

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's quite a little roadtrip but sounds like a great time too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is definitely a serious road trip. But gummies will help pass the time. Enjoy the drive and be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've read that the ancestors of my family spent time in Herkimer, about 10 generations ago. Have a nice drive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amazing that you have connections to that place, even though a long time ago. I sure had never heard of the place before I got there.

      Delete
  6. I found your post about Herkimer very interesting. My 4th great grandfather was a Captain Petrus(Peter) Ten Broeck and he was married to Annatje(Anne) Herkimer making her my 4th great grandmother. I always enjoy a drive through that country as I see the names of many who are in my family tree.
    Elaine McCullough May in Saltair, BC on beautiful Vancouver Island

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are the 2. person on this posting who has ties to Herkimer. I am blown away.

      Delete
  7. Elaine MaySeptember 24, 2016 at 7:11 PM

    I found your post about Herkimer very interesting. My 4th great grandfather was a Captain Petrus(Peter) Ten Broeck and he was married to Annatje(Anne) Herkimer making her my 4th great grandmother. I always enjoy a drive through that country as I see the names of many who are in my family tree.
    Elaine McCullough May in Saltair, BC on beautiful Vancouver Island

    ReplyDelete

We like to hear from you. You can add your comment here: