Thursday, October 2, 2014

Landed

After almost 12 hrs. travel time and a total of 24 hrs. awake I am feeling bushed. I am in a turboprop and the drone of the propellers is changing as the plane descends towards the Bay of Fundy and Saint John.  Bright sunlight makes me squint my eyes as I try to get my bearing. The Trans Canada Highway # 1 is clearly visible as it runs along the coast in a northern direction. Well an hour south of here is St.Stephen and the International border. And a bit out east and south is an island I cannot see: Campobello Island. By now the plane is running along the tarmac towards the small airport building. Not much of any activity here. It’s not like in Edmonton or Toronto where thousands are milling about regardless of the time of the day. It’s my kind of place.

When we step down the stairway I notice the difference in the air. No petro-industry stench out here, just the salty smell of the near-by Atlantic Ocean.  And it is mild and unseasonably warm. I break a sweat as my leather jacket is way too heavy. Short sleeves are much better. Within a few minutes our baggage is appearing on the conveyor belt. The little crowd is thinning out and all-of-a-sudden I stand alone here.

Bea is still at home or on her way by now. I have to wait 2 1/2hrs. Following a thought I ask one of the car rental agencies whether they have an office in St.Stephen. I could rent a car to St.Stephen and cut short the wait for Bea, but they shake their heads. No car rentals can survive in the border town. Actually the town is struggling to survive. No bus line is connecting the town with the rest of the province either. It’s a loosing proposition.

So I sit down in the waiting area, grab my laptop and start this posting. Yes, they do have a fast internet connection here, and it is free. What a blessing.

3 comments:

  1. Yay! You're home! How exciting - have fun on your vacation - hugs to you both. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. However, at least you're not doing the driving. That's a really good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like the waiting is almost done.... reunions are grand!! Glad you are back together again!!

    ReplyDelete

We like to hear from you. You can add your comment here: