Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Busy Wednesday

Had a program to attend to today. I love having something extra to do. And today a little road trip was on the agenda. Our Molly had to go see the vet for her routine shots and heartworm check. Our appointment was at 11:20 EDT so I had some time to kill earlier and used it to split some firewood and get it into the basement.  We love that wood stove! While I was chopping away on the wood, a neighbour came by, carrying a cake. A cake??? Yep, it was a HALLOWEEN-cake. Full chocolate-type of cake.  I can assure you it was very good. Thanks neighbour!
DSC_0125The vet, a very friendly young lady gave Molly two vaccines, checked her teeth, checked for fleas and took a blood sample (which Molly was not in favor of) for heartworm analysis. After 10 minutes they had done the test and it was negative. After all that excitement Molly needed to get outside and check out the green grass (;-)

I was really surprised how quiet she was under the 50mile ride to the vet office. Molly doesn’t like to ride in the JEEP, as the car is somewhat rough and stumpy with a rather tough suspension. Today we rode in the Chevy van and she loved it. The van is a lot more comfortable for a longer drive.
 DSC_0121
Being half ways over to Calais I decided to continue down the road for doing some shopping. You know we have a “Lazy Susan” in our kitchen and one of the hinges had broken, so the door was hanging there half assed in need of repair. I planned to go to the local hardware store to see whether I could get a replacement. Yeah…Fat chance. There must be hundreds of different types of hinges out there, at least there was nothing which would replace my hinge. BUT I found one where the part which was broken was KIND of identical. So in lieu of something better I purchased this look-alike just to use a part of it.

Then I went across the road to the local Shop‘n Save to find my favorite organic milk, but they were all sold out.
Next best solution was wandering over to Wally World. They still had my desired milk and I could rejoin Molly in the van. See, I have a problem with milk put into plastic jugs.  I never buy it, because the milk smells and tastes funny, -well plastic.  A few years back I “discovered” organic milk which I liked a lot better. Why do we have to fill milk into plastic jugs? There is no need for it. I’m sure those plastic jugs are one heck of a waste problem.

In just a couple of more days it’s November, and most of the leaves are down by now, and it starts looking a lot like winter. But larch trees or tamaracks, with their golden colour are now lighting up the woods everywhere.

After coming home again yet another task had appeared. Our neighbour across the street has just gone through a house repair and was busy piling up a lot of scrap wood at the street. Having to feed a hungry wood stove in the basement we went over and hauled all that wood over. Cutting that up into firewood will be my task tomorrow. Until then I have some time off.

Thanks for looking around here!

Oh, I forgot the joke I heard today:

Baaaad Parrot

A young man named John received a parrot as a gift. The parrot had a bad attitude and an even worse vocabulary.  Every word out of the bird's mouth was rude, obnoxious or laced with profanity. John tried and tried to change the bird's attitude by consistently saying only polite words, playing soft music and anything else he could think of  to clean up the bird's vocabulary.
Finally, John was fed up and he yelled at the parrot.  The parrot yelled back.  John shook the parrot and the parrot got angrier and even ruder.  John, in desperation, grabbed the bird and put him in the freezer. For a few minutes the parrot squawked, kicked and screamed.  Suddenly there was total quiet.  Not a peep was heard for over a minute.
Fearing that he'd hurt the parrot, John quickly opened the door to the freezer. The parrot calmly stepped out onto John's outstretched arms and said "I believe I may have offended you with my rude language and actions. I'm sincerely remorseful for my inappropriate transgressions and I fully intend to do everything I can to correct my rude and unforgivable behavior."
John was surprised at the birds vocabulary stunned at the change in the bird's attitude.
As he was about to ask the parrot what had made such a dramatic change in his behavior, the bird spoke-up, very softly, "May I ask what the turkey did?"


4 comments:

  1. Nothing more cozy than a wood burning stove. My Brother to this day heats his house with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad Molly checked out okay at the vet. I know it means work for you but getting your neighbors wood is a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe...the wood was for us...but the neighbour saved their expenses for hiring someone.

      Delete

We like to hear from you. You can add your comment here: