Monday, April 1, 2013

Home, Sweet Home But Wasn’t There A Bad Surprise?

This is Easter Sunday’s post

It took about 3 hours to get home from Bangor, ME, and through the entire 3 hours my thoughts were far ahead. I was truly looking forward to get home, to look across the shiny waters to meet our neighbors – to be and feel home again. Our customs lady was friendly as ever and even though we declared everything we had onboard, there was no duty or tax to pay. “Have a nice day” was what she said. And were we ever looking forward to it.

1-DSC_0184

Still frozen: Muskegs and lakes

And then we were going up our driveway and Bea was first over to the house with the keys. Everything looked fine and just as we had left it.

1-DSC_0189

Blueberry field in Maine

The surprise was still to come. I went to the basement, flipped over the breakers and light came on. Next thing was the water. I shut off all the open valves and started the flow from our well.

1-DSC_0194 1-DSC_0190

Coastal images of Maine

It didn’t take me long to hear that somewhere water was splashing onto the basement floor. I found the leak. A joint of the cobber line had separated. Then I found another one and yet another one. 3 leaks!!

I turned off the water again and had me a look at the broken lines. They were not cracked open, but had simply separated.

1-DSC_0196 1-DSC_0195

This has never happened before. But then this last winter was a tough one on Campobello Island. Temps went way below freeze-up.

1-DSC_0200

Snake pattern at low tide

From the garage I got a roll of silver duct tape. Believe it or not, but I was able to fix one of the connections. Water was now available at one faucet in the bathroom. The two other joints proved impossible to be fixed.

1-DSC_0204 1-DSC_0203

Blue sky and home…wow!

We do have a plumber on the island – if he is home. On an Easter Sunday he was not. And I doubt he will be tomorrow. His wife is a teacher and she may have a few days off and he’s with her. You get the idea, right?

So I will cross borders again tomorrow morning and see my friend the owner of the local hardware store. He might have some remedies so I can fix the problems.

 

HAPPY EASTER I SAY!

4 comments:

  1. Thank goodness you turned off the water, but I guess when you get freezing temps you don't have a choice. I hope you get the other two leaks fixed soon. I can imagine how nice it must be to be home again. Long hot baths, a full kitchen, big bed... Enjoy your summer! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear about your water leaks. Not a fun thing when you get home. But you're home and safe. Thank goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're lucky you didn't come home to a flooded basement. Being preventive sure helps. Hope you get it fixed soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. so sorry to hear this news..not a very welcoming home coming...glad to hear it wasn't worse...

    ReplyDelete

We like to hear from you. You can add your comment here: