Wednesday, January 23, 2013

“It’s Where Da’ Boys are” On FM 94.3

Old time radio at Quarzsite, Arizona
One of the real nice things up here in Quartzsite is that they’ve got a radio station which is playing music of the 60s and 70s in the evenings.
Listening to FM 94.3 makes my mind race back to those days when I was very young.

1-DSC_0111
1-DSC_0106
1-DSC_0137-001 1-DSC_0132

American songs came floating across the Atlantic and invaded European homes.
Being at the right age I loved the music from “over there” and I still do. Now I’m getting old, well at least I’m on that road now. And I would like to touch that wheel which could turn the time back to those days.

That music!  It was a time when cars in America were huge with rumblin’ 8-cylinders, and gas could be had for a few cents a gallon. People were optimistic and there seemed to be no limitations. It was the time of remarkable actors and singers. Protests against the war in Vietnam were coloring the m
usic, 
and Scott Mc.Kenzie was singing about coming to San Francisco.

If you're going to San Francisco
Be sure to wear some flowers in your hair
If you're going to San Francisco
You're gonna meet some gentle people there
For those who come to San Francisco
Summertime will be a love-in there
In the streets of San Francisco
Gentle people with flowers in their hair
All across the nation such a strange vibration
People in motion
There's a whole generation with a new explanation
People in motion people in motion
For those who come to San Francisco
Be sure to wear some flowers in your hair
If you come to San Francisco
Summertime will be a love-in there
If you come to San Francisco
Summertime will be a love-in there


Amazing what that radio station is doing to me. I want to lean back in my comfy couch, close the eyes and just be swept away in a wash of old hits.

Just thinking of all these old folks out here. When this music was new they were all young, maybe not quite as young as I, but still young. I wonder whether that’s the reason they play this music out here. To make these folks take their dreams back.

What do you think, could that be the reason?

Anyway…..it’s “Where Da Boys Are”.

3 comments:

  1. We're very familiar with "Where Da Boys Are" and the movie that went along with it too. I see you were up this morning shooting pictures of that spectacular sunrise. It was certainly gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You must be a bit younger than I am...I love the 60s and 50s music!! Something about the music that was popular when we were youngsters always seems to have a special place in our hearts. My kids get nostalgic about 80s music and I still find it hard to think of those tunes as "oldies". My how the time flies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My music interests span from the 40's Big Bands right up through the easy 50's, rocking 60's, disco 70's, great 80's & on into the 90's. Every song a memory, every memory a song. It was an era like no other & likely never to be repeated. We, at this age are very fortunate to have been exposed to so much diversified music over this period of time. It set the bar & defined generations in a very memorable way. And, those memories have stood the test of time & are still being played strong today. There is nothing comparable music now to the way it was.....when it was.

    ReplyDelete

We like to hear from you. You can add your comment here: