Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Hubby is the Chef de la Cuisine again
Will you cook the fish? came the question from Bea. Sure Hon! I can cook the fish tonight. I knew we had no breadcrumbs left for making a batter, but then I found a recipe on the internet that really stirred my curiosity. The author was saying it was given to her back in the fifties, which told me it should be good and free of artificial ingredients. And I was right. It makes the lightest, crispiest batter imaginable. This makes enough to coat 2 pounds of fish.
Ingredients
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/8 cup baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
Directions

Whisk together the flour, milk, water, baking powder, and salt in a bowl until smooth.

Underneath it said: If I sing when I cook the food is going to be happy!  Ever tried that?  I did.

It works.

Further: If I fry fish I never forget to fry bacon and onions as well. When crisp you remove the bacon and the onions out of the pan (or most of it) The rest will be embedded in the batter. The meal turned out to be what the Norwegians call: “Et HerremÃ¥ltid”  (The meal of a master).

Sorry I did not take the pictures.

Even though the weather men had predicted rain, wind and all kind of nasty weather the day turned out to be gorgeous with a blue sky and nice temps above the 50’s. In the sun it was downright hot.

It seems we’ve got the same weather situation like we knew from the last 2 years. Dark clouds are trekking along the mainland, while it’s clear and nice over the water. And that means Campobello does not partake in the rainy clouds

 

**********************************************************************

Ever heard about fish jokes?  Yeah, you know jokes with fish or about fish?

I have found a bundle of them. Here goes:

  • What did the sardine call the submarine?…A can of people
  • Which fish dresses the best?…The Swordfish – It always looks sharp
  • How do you communicate with a fish?…You drop it a line
  • Why are fish no good at tennis?…They don’t like to get too close to the net

     And the best:

  • There was an awful fight at the seafood restaurant…Four fish got battered

 

Hey that’s enough now.

Thanks for laughing!fish

 

 

 


 

3 comments:

  1. That sounds like a batter similar to what my dad used once in a while. I was raised on fish. Thus, I love most fish and seafood. However, my husband was not. Thus, he doesn't eat it. It's a similar thing with our kids and their spouses. Kids do but spouses don't. Half of the grandkids do and the other half doesn't. I guess that just means there is more for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So do you fry the bacon and onions first or at the same time as the fish? I've never thought about doing that and it sounds so good. Love the fishing jokes. Shared them with Jim and he's still chuckling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great fish fry recipe...thanks!

    ReplyDelete

We like to hear from you. You can add your comment here: